[CentOS] [Off Topic] - need help registering to the smplayer forum

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jun 12 17:24:13 UTC 2015

jd1008 wrote:
> On 06/12/2015 10:32 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 10:16:28AM -0600, jd1008 wrote:
>>> That said, I wonder if centos has a counterpart to fedup,
>>> so that I can upgrade to centos 7.5.
>> AFAIK, nothing that's supported.  There's the tool available here:
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CentOSUpgradeTool
>> ... but it can leave your system in a broken state.
>>
>> (I'm assuming you mean migrating from CentOS6 to CentOS7.  I have no
>> idea what CentOS 7.5 is.  Typo?)
>>
> Yes, I meant to type 7.x (thinking that there might be newer releases.
>
> How hard would it be to port fedup to Centos?

I believe - what's it called, preup? - exists. I'll also note that the
overwhelming opinion is DON'T USE IT.

One good reason: from one full release of an enterprise o/s to the next,
there are many major upgrades - packages goind from, say, 4 to 6, and the
odds are that will break your system, or what you run on it. This is one
reason that /home, and other locations for data are on separate partitions
- when you upgrade, you tell it install, custom install, format /boot and
/, and you won't lose anything.

Counter example: torque, a cluster software package that we use heavily,
in the middle of CentOS 6.6, which is from EPEL, *suddenly*, with no
warning, went from 2.5.x to 4.2, which broke all of our clustering, and
killed a number of large jobs. We had to downgrade (and that was, um,
interesting, since EPEL did not see fit to either name the new package
something like torque4, and didn't leave the old one around to allow an
easy downgrade. Fortunately, we have a local mirror.....

Now think of upgrading from 6 to 7, and having something like that hit you.

         mark