[CentOS] C5 : Firefox 38 bug

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 12 20:03:32 UTC 2015

On Fri, June 12, 2015 2:56 pm, Always Learning wrote:

> On Sat, 2015-06-13 at 10:55 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
>
>> The most offensive problems of using browsers is that
>> they do not tell you nor ask your permission when javascripts
>> spy on your entire storage contents.
>> I had asked a java developer at Sun Microsystems about
>> what Sun means when it says that Java runs in a sandbox?
>> Just what is the sandbox?
>> I also asked if browsers that execute javascripts are retricted
>> to this notion of a sandbox that does not leak out into
>> the rest of the system.
>>
>> He said the "sandbox" is the entire storage on your computer.
>>
>> Enough said.
>
> It is my understanding that Java and Javascript are different; that Java
> is dangerous whilst Javascript is (hopefully) harmless.

Not necessarily. Both of them are an execution of somebody's else code on
your computer. One (java) may be considered running with [much] more
sophisticated interpreter. Another (javascript) by its nature has to be
less sophisticated code, running with different interpreters written
independently by each browser vendor (even though they all are javascript
interpreters, the differ grossly).

But the bottom line is the same: in both cases you are executing
somebody's else code on your computer.

Valeri

> --
> Regards,
>
> Paul.
> England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247