[CentOS] Two partitions with samd UUID??

Always Learning centos at u64.u22.net
Tue Jun 16 11:12:24 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 11:30 +0100, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, Always Learning wrote:
>
> > ON Centos 5, using GPARTED I created partitions for filing systems ext3
> > and ext4. 4 primary and unlimited (except by space) extended partitions.
> > That suggests those partitions are not GPT but old fashioned M$DOS
>
> If it is old fashioned MSDOS, you can have four total primary and extended,
> not four primary plus extended.  An extended partition then provides a
> container for further logical partitions.

Yes you are correct. Maximum 4 primary or maximum 3 primary and 1
extended which is then sub-divided into more partitions.

> LUKS provides a UUID, so being encrypted isn't a barrier to having a UUID.

But my point was M$ DOS partitions, not being GPT partitions, can have
UUIDs. The original poster appeared to suggest that was not possible. He
wrote

> > Non-GPT partitions do not have a UUID. The _content_ (filesystem,
> > LVM physical volume, non-encrypted swap space, etc.) of such a
> > partition could have a UUID, but the partition itself does not.

When I think I am mounting a M$ DOS partition, am I mounting a real
partition or merely 'the file system' within that partition ?  Some may
think one can't have one without the other.

--
Regards,

Paul.
England, EU.      England's place is in the European Union.