[CentOS] Two partitions with samd UUID??

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Tue Jun 16 14:00:30 UTC 2015

On 06/16/2015 06:43 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2015 12:12, "Always Learning" <centos at u64.u22.net> wrote:

> ext3
> partitions.
>>>
>>> If it is old fashioned MSDOS, you can have four total primary and
> extended,
>>> not four primary plus extended.  An extended partition then provides a
>>> container for further logical partitions.
>>
>> Yes you are correct. Maximum 4 primary or maximum 3 primary and 1
>> extended which is then sub-divided into more partitions.
>>
>>> LUKS provides a UUID, so being encrypted isn't a barrier to having a
> UUID.
>>
>> But my point was M$ DOS partitions, not being GPT partitions, can have
>> UUIDs. The original poster appeared to suggest that was not possible. He
>> wrote
>>

> Those were filesystem UUIDs not partition UUIDs ...

LUKS physical volume UUIDs, actually. When you create a LUKS logical
volume within that PV, it also has a UUID, and a filesystem within that
LUKS LV will have its own UUID. These are all part of the partition's
_content_. A GPT partition has its own UUID, independent of the
partition's content. An MSDOS partition does not.

> LUKS has its own header similar to ext4, lvm, etc headers which has a UUID
> in it.
>
> This UUID being associated with the LUKS header indicates it is not a
> partition UUID.
>
> A dd of this (or lvm snapshot) to another partition will keep the same UUID.

Indeed. If your version of cryptsetup is new enough (supports the
"--header" option), try doing the luksFormat operation with a detached
header. Now you will find that your LUKS partition no longer has a UUID.

> A partition UUID within a GPT table would not be persisted in this manner,
> and msdos labeled disks have no concept of this to begin with.

                 Do NOT delete it.