[CentOS] using rsync to sync desktop /home/user of to laptop /home/user

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 16 19:44:43 UTC 2015

Antonio, thank you for reply.

On 06/16/2015 12:22 PM, Antonio S. Martins Jr. wrote:
> ----- "g" <geleem at bellsouth.net> escreveu:
<<>>

>> greetings,
>>
>> i want to sync my desktop home directory to my laptop home
>> directory. i am using KDE for desktop.
>>
>> a problem that i foresee is the different screens between the 2.
>>
>> i synced using;
>>
>> rsync -a -u -v -e ssh /home/geo geo at 192.168.1.5:/home/geo.new
>>
>> with intent of in laptop's /home;
>>
>> mv geo geo.org mv geo.new geo
>>
>> what files and directories in 'org' directory need to be copied to
>> the 'new' directory so that i will maintain screen setup in
>> laptop?
>>

> Hi,
>
> I'm using unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) to do
> this.  It can sync in both ways if files are changed on both sides
> between syncs.

i did not recognize the site, but when i connected to it and started
to bookmark it, i saw that i already had it bookmarked.

in checking, i found that it was from 2009-0514-09:08 pm when i ran
a search for backup and recovery sites.

i pulled the docs and tar file to check out later.

> And, IMHO it's better to filter out the directories that contain
> configuration for the systems, or better, sync only the documents and
> other pertinent files.

i agree, and i have already started writing scripts for both desktop
and laptop to sync just the common, _non_unique_ directories and files.

so, back to my original question, worded differently.

what directories and files should not be copied so that configs for
desktop/laptop do not corrupt configs for laptop/desktop screen?

i am presuming that '.KDE' is one of them, and what else?

i can got thru all directories and files, which would take time and
is what i am wanting to avoid. call me lazy. ;-)

--

peace out.

--
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.