[CentOS] using rsync to sync desktop /home/user of to laptop /home/user

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 16 21:17:36 UTC 2015

thank you for replying Johanthan.

On 06/16/2015 02:52 PM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 02:44:43PM -0500, g wrote:
>> what directories and files should not be copied so that configs for
>> desktop/laptop do not corrupt configs for laptop/desktop screen?
>
> Maybe you need to be clearer.  The screen's configuration is not
> really configured in your home directory, but by X (although these
> days it's all autoprobed).
>
> Are you talking about what icons appear?  The configuration for KDE?
.
also, thank you for kicking my chemo brain in the butt. ;-)

yes, i forgot about X being the wise and wondrous now.

iirc, there used to be a file under /etc/X11 that had specs for
keyboard, mouse, graphics card, monitor, language, etc, that one
could make custom changes to if needed. several years back that
got changed with auto probe. yes/no?

therefore, my only real concern would be for progs like firefox,
thunderbird and what else that is not standard with distrib, and
have special files in /lib, /lib64, etc. y/n?

as for icons and KDE configs, icons should be same as they are
under /usr/share and i do want to have same/similar desktop window
settings.

long story to short, just try it. y/n?

--

peace out.

--
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.