[CentOS] PXE question

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Wed Jun 17 01:09:51 UTC 2015

On 06/16/2015 03:32 PM, isdtor wrote:
> I was wondering, where is the format and options of files like
> /usr/share/system-config-netboot/pxelinux.cfg/default from
> system-config-netboot-cmd described? There are plenty of PXE tutorials
> with examples out there, but nothing that looks like actual
> documentation.

I have a fairly complex pxe configuration... Multi-distro/OS  Here is my centos pxelinux.cfg/default:

# Centos 3.9
label centos3
  kernel centos/3.9/vmlinuz
  append initrd=centos/3.9/initrd.img ramdisk_size=100000 text ks=http://<load host>/ks.cfg

# Centos 4.8
label centos4
  kernel centos/4.8/vmlinuz
  append initrd=centos/4.8/initrd.img ramdisk_size=100000 text rescue ks=http://<load host>/ks4.cfg

# Centos 5.5
label centos4
  kernel centos/5.5/vmlinuz
  append initrd=centos/5.5/initrd.img ramdisk_size=100000 text ks=http://<load host>/ks5.cfg

# Centos 6.4
label centos6
  kernel centos/6.4/64/vmlinuz
  append initrd=centos/6.4/64/initrd.img ramdisk_size=100000 text ks=http://<load host>/ks/ks6-64.cfg
#  append initrd=centos/6.4/64/initrd.img ramdisk_size=100000 text

My kickstart is loaded via http, so you also have to configure the web server to be able to serve that as well.  The path for the kernel and initrd is relative to the root of the
tftp server.  In my case /tftpboot contains

centos/<version>/<32|64>/

with the appropriate kernel and initrd

The real "trick" is building menus.  That is quite poorly documented

Let me know if you need more help.

hope it helps