[CentOS] Virtualization

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 16:44:47 UTC 2015

On 06/17/2015 03:32 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> If host is using LVM for disk partitioning and uses logical volumes for VM
> disks, it is possible to do LVM 'snapshots' and these snapshots can then be
> backed up, all without shutting down the VMs.

Note that making an LVM snapshot, alone, will not provide a consistent
image for a backup.  If you want to back up a snapshot of a running
system, you should use "virsh snapshot-create" to capture the complete
state of the system.

http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/tip/Getting-a-clear-picture-on-KVM-snapshot-basics

Backups from within the guest will typically be much smaller.  I'm
working on a flexible snapshot script that supports multiple storage types.

https://bitbucket.org/gordonmessmer/dragonsdawn-snapshot