[CentOS] AutoFS mystery ...

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:22:01 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com> wrote:
> Care to explain those two. direct versus indirect mapping?
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Another thing you may want to consider is use of 'direct map' instead
>> of 'indirect map'. If I remember correctly, it works well with cifs
>> mounts, too.

I'm sure you can find nice documentations that explain the two mapping
methods. Just briefly, With 'direct map', you can mount virtually at
any point because it uses absolute paths. In some situations (like
mounting directly under /), 'direct map' is the only option for
autofs.

In /etc/auto.master, you add a line similar to:

/-   /etc/auto.direct

And in /etc/auto.direct, you may have:

/mounthere -fstype=cifs,rw,blah ://machine/share

Akemi