[CentOS] NUX Skype for Linux

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 18 14:05:21 UTC 2015

On Thu, June 18, 2015 8:29 am, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 09:11:01AM -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> So, what does this do?
>>
>> # cat /etc/prelink.conf.d/skype.conf
>> -b /usr/bin/skype
>
> It blacklists /usr/bin/skype from prelink.  Not sure why, but it
> wouldn't affect make your system automatically start skype.
>
> Read 'man prelink.conf':
>
>        -b --black-list=PATH
>                      This  option  allows  blacklisting  certain
>                      paths, libraries or binaries.  Prelink will not
>                      touch them during prelinking.

On a side note: James, you may want to think of getting rid of prelink
altogether. The only downside is: it allegedly makes starting new process
with new binary faster. However, for that it walks nightly through all you
libraries and touches each of them (I'm purposefully omitting the details
if what it does). This effectively defeats almost all ways to track your
system integrity. When if was first included into (RHEL/CentOS) standard
installation set I had an "artificial" incident which was just prelink
cron job touched all my libraries. (Hence, you can understand my strong
"attitude" towards prelink). I have prelink excluded in all my kickstart
files since that event. At some point I noticed RH took the same point of
view, and prelink is not in any of default installation sets (somebody,
correct me).

Just my $0.02.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev