[CentOS] C7: EPEL conflicts with Base and ElRepo?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 03:16:54 UTC 2015

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 17:53:14 -0400
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:04:04PM +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > This just came to my attention --- I have CentOS 7 installed on one
> > machine, and have configured elrepo and epel as additional
> > repositories. When I turned on the yum-priorities package (and set
> > up priorities in the order base&updates < elrepo < epel), it turns
> > out that there are 65 conflicting packages between base and epel,
> > and additional 5 between elrepo and epel (there are no conflicts
> > between base and elrepo, as expected).
>
> Somehow I thought (without going to verify) that epel should be
> before elrepo.
>
> Just looked at my repo configs and I have epel priority at 20 and
> elrepo at 40.

The priority between elrepo and epel is usually a matter of personal
preference, but either way epel is stepping over the base and updates
repos, regardless of elrepo, as I explained:

> > # yum repolist --disablerepo=elrepo
> > Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, priorities
[snip]
> > 65 packages excluded due to repository priority protections

This shouldn't happen, and as far as I know, it is considered a
Bad Thing(tm). Does anyone have any more detailed info regarding this?

Best, :-)
Marko