[CentOS] Nagios, getting started

Rob Kampen

rkampen at kampensonline.com
Mon Jun 22 10:04:27 UTC 2015

Hi List,
I have noted a number of times, various comments on this list about
Nagios, hence my questions.

just been employed by an ISP and they want to upgrade their fairly
extensive nagios monitoring.
They are mostly an ubuntu lts shop, so 1st question
What advantages does the RH/CentOS world have (if any?) over the ubuntu
LTS world?

They are talking about running the server on a vm, as I have no
experience with this tool, is that appropriate? or does it really need
some hardware resources to function properly?
If a vm is okay, what kind of RAM does it need?

I see epel has nagios 3.5.1 with a date of 2013 for CentOS7 along with
plugins, is this the version folk use? - as the latest from nagios is 4.0.8

I am under orders to use packages and not compile, a viewpoint I endorse.
Are there other repos folk use?

What about front ends, visualization etc.?
I've been asked to look at
nagvis - no apparent epel package
and
nagiosql which appears to have halted development and supports only 3.x
are there better tools?

Any comments about FAN? looks a bit like what zimbra does for emails FAN
does for nagios, or am I missing something?

TIA
Rob