[CentOS] yum and yumex change system time

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 23 19:48:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 01:56:13PM -0500, g wrote:
> each and every time i run yum or yumex, system time is advanced
> by 5 hours.
>
> this has gone on thru several updates, maybe even upgrades.
>
> centos = 6.6 current
> yum    = 3.2.29
> yumex  = 3.0.5
>
> for awhile, i did not mind resetting clock when i noticed it off.
>
> now, it is a pita because when i forget, emails and what ever else
> i am doing get wrong time stamps.
>
> i have searched for problem/solution, but none found. or i missed it
> reading search page.
>
> most appreciative if anyone knows of a solution.

Hmmm, that's a really strange problem.

yum really doesn't have anything to do with your system clock.  It
just installs, updates and removes packages.  I've never used 'yumex'
but i assume it just runs yum behind the scenes.

The only thing I can think of is that your system is installing a
tzdata package and failing, and somehow you're replacing the time zone
with the original each time you fix it.  Since your date is listed as
-0500, it would seem likely that it is related.