[CentOS] POSTMORTEM: Re: OT: default password for HP printer

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Wed Jun 24 11:25:49 UTC 2015

On 06/23/2015 03:52 PM, g wrote:

> On 06/23/2015 02:14 PM, ken wrote:
>> On 06/23/2015 11:49 AM, g wrote:
>>>
>>> hello Ken,
>>>
>>> am i correct to presume that you are getting the "Bcc:" of my post
>>> to the fedora list?
>>
>> g,
>>
>> I'm already subscribed to that list, so you needn't bcc me.  I've read
>> your post there.  Thanks for that.  Very considerate of you.  The main
>> issue, getting back into the EWS has been resolved.  See my long post
>> there about it.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>
> you are most welcome.
>
> this email was supposed to go to you and not list and why it had
> [OFF-LIST] in "Subject:". my bad, failed to change the "To:".

Not a problem.

> glad to see you found a workaround to get into ews. seems strange that
> hp support was not aware that what happened with your printer was
> something that could happen. could be that all was blank because when
> changed, and then reset, it has no record of what was to go back to.

Yes, it's especially strange because HP tech support offices have labs
which house, among others, the very same printer I have.  (At least
those in the Philippines and Ontario, Canada.)  Talking with people at
both places I asked them to do a semi-full reset in order to actually
see what I was seeing, but they declined.  Evidently the policy is that
only supervisors are allowed to do that... and they are afraid to do it,
thinking they might disable the printer and make it totally
non-functional.  A tech in Ontario said, 'if we do that, then we might
have to send it back and get a new one."  (Yet they aren't afraid to
tell customers to do such a reset!?)  My response was: With a hundred
tech support people in that office, how could it be that you wouldn't be
able to recover that printer from a reset?

That was just five or ten minutes of five hours' worth of conversations
with HP tech support.  I can't, though, blame those people too much.  No
one's born knowing these things.  A supervisor in the Philippines told
me that he gets no money, nor is he allotted time, for training of
employees.  They just get a manual for each printer, each manual
containing a script for each known problem, and they just have to follow
the series of diagnostics -- or blind potential remedies -- for each
issue.  That and "on the job training" (learning from the customers'
problems) is pretty much what we can expect when we call tech support.
This has come about because some high- or mid-level manager, likely a
strong advocate of market economics, decided that this would be the
cheapest way to deal with customers' technical problems.  And that's how
we're dealt with.  And that's how the political becomes personal.

> then again, it is a good way for it to work, but support should have
> known.

Following on the above, support folks can be expected to know little
more than what's in the documentation they're handed.

Standard methods are often standard for a reason... or several reasons.
  The "no surprise" principle alone would tell us that, if there's to be
a variation from standard, that variation  should be an exceptional
improvement.  I don't know that this is.

> now you know what to do if you forget your password again. ((GBWG))

Actually, I didn't forget my password.  I forgot a password (the
default) I needed to use once six months ago and never anticipated
needing again.  And as it turned out, I actually didn't need to remember
it and won't ever need it again.  :^\