[CentOS] rsyncing directories - sanity check

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:13:12 UTC 2015

> Have you considered just resizing the volumes?

That'd probably be my preference. But in my role at this company I don't
have the direct access to do that. I'd probably have to open up a ticket to
another department and have it done when 'they get around to it'. In say 3
or 4 weeks. On my own servers no sweat. But at work. nah. not really
practical.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 06/24/2015 09:42 AM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
>
>> And for
>> some reason when the servers were ordered the large local volume ended up
>> being /usr when the ES rpm likes to store it's indexes on /var.
>>
>> So I'm syncing the contents of both directories to a different place, and
>> I'm going swap the large local volume from /usr to /var.
>>

> Have you considered just resizing the volumes?  If you're trying to swap
> them with rsync, you're going to have to reboot anyway, and relabel your
> system.  If any daemons are running, you might also corrupt their data this
> way.
>
>  The entire /var partition is only using 549MB:
>>
>> rsync: write failed on "/opt/var/log/lastlog": No space left on device
>> (28)
>>

> Depending on what UIDs are allocated to your users, lastlog can be an
> enormous sparse file.  You would need to use rsync's -S flag to copy it.

GPG me!!