[CentOS] /boot on a separate partition?

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jun 26 15:58:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 01:27:47PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> It's bad design. First, it's a nested mount: file system A on /, and
> file system B on /boot, and file system C on /boot/efi. Therefore the
> mount process must make sure they're mounted in that order, or there's
> failure.

I've never once had a problem with nested mounts.  Is this a problem
people have?  First I've heard of it.

> Second, there is no good reason for the EFI System partition
> to ever be mounted; and multiple reasons to not ever mount it (Windows
> and OS X never mount the EFI System partition but somehow all the
> Linux distros are obsessed with mounting things that don't need
> mounting). Eventually systemd will become smarter and handle on-demand
> dynamic mount and umount, including the ESP so this will get better
> but even better would be not ever mounting it in the first place.

It would be nice if that were the case, however, in an automated
dual-boot system with EFI, we have to manage rEFInd *somewhere*, and
it is easier for us to manage it under configuration management in
Linux than in Windows.  Our managed dual-boot workstations need to be
able to reboot into the other OS during the evening for updates.