[CentOS] An odd X question

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:09:19 UTC 2015

On 06/26/2015 05:04 AM, mark wrote:
> You misunderstand me: I understand the terminology, and why they chose
> it. I simply disagree with their choice, and have always found it
> confusing, esp. to anyone coming into it since, um, the mid/late 80's,
> when *everything* else in the world used the terminology the other
> way, from d/b to three-tiered architecture.

No, they didn't.  The server is the persistent process, the one that
listens for network connections from clients, typically the one that
authenticates clients, and the one that performs privileged actions on
behalf of clients.

That's what the X11 display server does.

The display server is a persistent process.  Clients (such as xterm)
connect to it.  There is not a persistent xterm "server" running that
the display "client" connects to.  The display server authenticates
clients.  It manages the interface with the graphics card and HID devices.