[CentOS] /boot on a separate partition?

Jason Warr jason at warr.net
Fri Jun 26 17:53:14 UTC 2015

On 6/26/2015 12:38 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 01:27:47PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> It's bad design. First, it's a nested mount: file system A on /, and
>>> file system B on /boot, and file system C on /boot/efi. Therefore the
>>> mount process must make sure they're mounted in that order, or there's
>>> failure.
>> I've never once had a problem with nested mounts.  Is this a problem
>> people have?  First I've heard of it.
> 'mount -av' has *long* supported nested mounts.  Nested mounts are a 'trick'
> from the days of UNIX from way back when.  Mount knows all about going through
> /etc/fatab and coming up with a sane and correct order for mounting file
> systems.

The only issue I have ever had is if / is not listed first.  For some
reason that I cannot remember I once listed /boot first in /etc/fstab
and the system could not remount / as RW as the first thing mount did
was mount /boot.  Apparently it failed to recognize / needed a remount
before mounting anything else.