[CentOS] LVM hatred, was Re: /boot on a separate partition?

Jason Warr jason at warr.net
Fri Jun 26 17:59:09 UTC 2015

On 6/26/2015 12:34 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> At the moment, LVM RAID is only supported with conventional/thick
> provisioning. So if you want to do software RAID and also use LVM thin
> provisioning, you still need to use mdadm (or hardware RAID).

You can do thin pools as RAID[1,5,N], just not in a single command:

|root #||lvcreate -m 1 --type raid1 -l40%VG -n thin_pool vg0 |
|root #||lvcreate -m 1 --type raid1 -L4MB -n thin_meta vg0 |
|root #||lvconvert --thinpool vg0/thin_pool --poolmetadata vg00/thin_meta

So yeah, it's not directly supported by the tools but it does work.  I
would not recommend it though as I doubt it is very well tested.