[CentOS] Using a CentOS 6 Machine as a gateway/router/home server

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Jun 29 13:09:41 UTC 2015

On Mon, June 29, 2015 02:14, Sorin Srbu wrote:
OS 6?

> Please note: I'm not criticizing, just curious about the argument
> behind using a regular OS to do firewall-stuff.

Maintenance.

A consistent set of expectations does wonders for debugging odd-ball
occurrences.  Why learn the idiosyncrasies of two distros when one
suffices?  Just start with a minimal CentOS install on your
router/gateway and add only the packages that you know that you need.
Any critical omission will evidence itself in short order and can be
added then; or the source of the need removed as circumstance
warrants.

Canada  L8E 3C3