[CentOS] Using a CentOS 6 Machine as a gateway/router/home server

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:33:35 UTC 2015

On 06/28/2015 03:49 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
> From several sources, code, the stock CentOS iptables I've cobbled the
> following /etc/sysconfig/iptables; while it works, I suspect that
> there are holes:
> # Firewall configuration written by system-config-firewall
> # Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
> *nat
> :PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
> :POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
> :OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
> -A POSTROUTING  -j MASQUERADE
> COMMIT
> *filter
> :INPUT DROP [0:0]
> :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]

Some holes, yes.  I'd recommend that your FORWARD table be similar to
INPUT.  It should DROP by default, and ACCEPT on traffic coming in the
LAN interface and going out the WAN interface (and ESTABLISHED data).
As it is now, a host on your WAN interface could use your system as its
gateway, and you'd MASQ its traffic.

Possibly:

:FORWARD DROP [0:0]
-A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m state --state NEW -i eth0 -o eth1 -j ACCEPT

Best practice is to apply both egress and ingress filters as well. You
should only forward traffic to the WAN if the source address is one that
you use on your LAN.  You should only forward traffic to your LAN if the
source is *not* an address you use in your LAN.

I think that looks like this in iptables, but I might be wrong...

:FORWARD DROP [0:0]
-A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -i eth1 -s !
192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
-A FORWARD -m state --state NEW -i eth0 -o eth1 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT