[CentOS] Using a CentOS 6 Machine as a gateway/router/home server

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:40:05 UTC 2015

On 06/29/2015 06:46 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Even considering a minimal CentOS install, is that still less minimal than
> e.g. Smoothwall or Ipcop?

Yes, a minimal install of CentOS is probably larger (less minimal) than
a specialized distribution.

> In my world, security has a price and, and that might be the need to learn
> another distro in order to minimize security issues (and maybe as in this
> case minimize attack-surfaces).

When all of your systems are one OS, you can more easily build an
infrastructure that provides backups, security and bug fix updates,
monitoring, etc for all of your systems.  Specialized devices are often
left out when admins set up infrastructure to provide those services for
their primary systems.  That's one way that a general purpose OS can be
significantly better than a specialized OS.