[CentOS] rsyncing directories - sanity check

Wed Jun 24 16:42:19 UTC 2015
Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com>

hey guys,

 I need to mount a different volume onto /var so we have more room to
breathe. I'll be turning 3 servers into an elasticsearch cluster. And for
some reason when the servers were ordered the large local volume ended up
being /usr when the ES rpm likes to store it's indexes on /var.

So I'm syncing the contents of both directories to a different place, and
I'm going swap the large local volume from /usr to /var.

It looked like /opt had more than enough space to hold both directories.
/opt was 6GB and I successfully synced /usr to it. /usr was 2.5GB.

Then I went to sync /var to a temp folder in /opt. Checking I see that it
still has 1/6GB available after the first sync.

# df -h /opt
Filesystem            Size  Used *Avail* Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/SysVG-OptVol
                             6.0G  4.1G  *1.6G*  72% /opt

The entire /var partition is only using 549MB:

# df -h /var
Filesystem            Size  *Used* Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/SysVG-VarVol
                           6.0G   *549M*  5.1G  10% /var

So that being the case, if I make a temp directory in /opt called /opt/var,
how come I am running out of space in doing my rsync? It fails at the end
and the /opt volume is filled up to 100%. Even tho I only have 549MB to
sync.

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]:
Broken pipe (32)
rsync: write failed on "/opt/var/log/lastlog": No space left on device (28)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(301) [receiver=3.0.6]
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/opt/var/www/manual/developer" failed: No
space left on device (28)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/opt/var/www/manual/faq" failed: No space
left on device (28)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/opt/var/www/manual/howto" failed: No space
left on device (28)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/opt/var/www/manual/images" failed: No space
left on device (28)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/opt/var/www/manual/misc" failed: No space
left on device (28)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/opt/var/www/manual/mod" failed: No space
left on device (28)
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (148727 bytes received so far)
[sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(600)
[sender=3.0.6]

And if I do a df of the entire system, it looks like everything is still ok:

# df -h
/dev/mapper/SysVG-RootVol
                           2.0G  872M  1.1G  46% /
tmpfs                  4.0G     0  4.0G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1            486M   87M  375M  19% /boot
/dev/mapper/SysVG-HomeVol
                            4.0G  137M  3.7G   4% /home
/dev/mapper/SysVG-OptVol
                           6.0G  4.3G  1.4G  76% /opt
/dev/mapper/SysVG-TmpVol
                            2.0G  130M  1.8G   7% /tmp
/dev/mapper/SysVG-UsrVol
                          197G  2.8G  185G   2% /usr
/dev/mapper/SysVG-VarVol
                           6.0G  549M  5.1G  10% /var

Does anyone have a good guess as to why these 'out of space' failures are
occurring?

Thanks,
Tim

--