[CentOS] Native ZFS on Linux

Mon Jun 1 12:42:38 UTC 2015
Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>

Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 06/01/2015 06:42 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Chuck Munro <chuckm at seafoam.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a question that has been puzzling me for some time ... what is
> >> the reason RedHat chose to go with btrfs rather than working with the
> >> ZFS-on-Linux folks (now OpenZFS)?  Is it a licensing issue, political, etc?
> >
> > There is no licensing issue, but there are OpenSource enemies that spread a
> > fairy tale about an alleged licensing issue.
> >
> > The only problem with integrating ZFS into Linux is that the VFS interface from
> > Linux is inferior to the one from OpenSolaris and as a result, there is a need
> > to first implement missing interfaces.
> >
> > Jörg
> >

> Guys ... let's try not to have a license fight again on the list.
> Sometimes these things get way out of hand.
>
> This list is not a place for legal advise .. let's let the attorneys who
> actually know the law and the maintainers of programs decide what
> license they use and what it means.

Could you explain why you did not reply to the mail fropm Chris Adams who
introduced a false claim about so called "opinions of a number of lawyers"?

As mentioned: lawyers explain why there is no problem with ZFS integration. If
you don't like useless discussions, you need to prevent people from spreading
unverified rumors.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin