[CentOS] [OT] recover/reset 'owner' password on win7 os

Mon Jun 1 20:59:32 UTC 2015
g <geleem at bellsouth.net>

On 06/01/2015 12:43 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 6/1/2015 10:30 AM, g wrote:
>> i would wipe win7, but not an option at this time.
>
> thats the only sane thing to do with a used computer being redeployed,
> format it completely, and clean install your desired software.

so, just what do you think "but not an option at this time" means? ;-)

> there's a util called NTPASSWD that can reset the password of a
> windows system, this util is run by booting a cd or usb stick, and
> directly modifies the 'SAM' in windows

obviously you did not read all of what i posted. had you read
paragraph following what you responded to, you would/may/might
have become aware that i did pull *ntpassword*. note correct
spelling. ;-)

> (somewhat akin to booting a rescue CD on 'nix, and editing
> /mnt/etc/shadow to remove passwords).

if find such can be much easier by booting init level 1 to edit
/mnt/etc/shadow. after which, 'init 2', logging in as root to
run 'passwd' [proper spelling] to set new root user password and
any other user passwords.

being that i "copied files" from pogostick.com, meant that i had
pulled the cd version also, so i burned the cd version.

when i booted ntpassword cd, i cleared passwords for both admin
and owner. rebooted, now 'administrator', 'owner' and 'guest' are
all with out passwords.

as owner, i created the 2 system recovery dvd's and the application
dvd.

logged out as owner, logged in as administrator and i was able to
run;

  X:syslinux.exe -ma X:

now i have a bootable usb stick with ntpassword.

all of which brings me back to my original question;

how can i make usb stick bootable from linux?

any/all suggestion/help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

--

peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.