[CentOS] how do I make my headset work

Fri Jun 5 20:33:41 UTC 2015
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015, Fred Smith wrote:

> if it's a desktop, I'll assume it's already a 3-prong polarized plug
> (unless someone has used a 2-3 prong adaptor, or the building is
> mis-wired.
>
> All the above kind of assumes a US-like outlet. I don't recall where
> the OP resides/works, so that may be all wrong.

Correct.
North Dakota.

It's a desktop in an old house.
The outlets have ground-fault protection,
but the third prong is ungrounded.

> You can get cheap devices that plug into a 3-prong outlet and have little
> LED lights that indicate whether the wiring is correct, as regards ground
> and neutral, or not.
>
> Also, it's possible that you've got a cheap headset/mic combo that does
> not have the shielded audio cable wired correctly. It's also possible
> that it's a cheap-a** rig that doesn't even use shielded cable from the
> plug to the mic/phones.

It's an Insignia NS-PAH5101
It does not have a separate power source,
just plugs for the pink and green sockets.
The cables are pretty thin.
If the problem is shielding,
is there something I could do to shield the cables?

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods