[CentOS] newbie question on installation over existing Linux

Tue Jun 9 01:37:07 UTC 2015
g <geleem at bellsouth.net>

On 06/08/2015 08:29 PM, Peter wrote:
<<>>

> The real issue is that you cannot put /usr on a dedicated partition
> anymore as of CentOS 7.  This is because /bin, /lib and /lib64 are
> symbolic linked in the /usr equivalents now.  The (previous) purposes of
> having a separate /bin and /lib was so that programs and libs required
> at boot time could be run before the rest of the fs was mounted up if
> /usr were on a separate partition.  Now they've been consolidated and
> symlinked so if you put /usr on a separate partition then the system
> won't be able to access critical apps during boot.

_but_, you can/could have a minimal /usr with required files for boot.
then after the mounting, usr partition lays in.

> You can thank Fedora for making that rather pointless change and
> breaking that capability.

there are a lot of 'thank yous' for fedora project. 1 of which made
3 of my drive lvm when they were ext4. :-\

--

peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.