[CentOS] Resize KVM NTFS file system

Tue Jun 9 19:33:38 UTC 2015
James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca>

----- Original Message -----
| On Monday, 08 June 2015 at @07:06 zulu, Gordon Messmer wrote:
|
| > Why?  If you use gparted (ntfsprogs, under the covers, IIRC), the system
| > will chkdsk on the next boot.  No such requirement exists with Microsoft's
| > tools
|

| That's not been my experience... gparted does use ntfs-3g to work on NTFS
| partitions (what linux-based tool doesn't?), but does not by default set
| the dirty bit. Its GUI also offers much-finer granularity than microsoft's.

Listen, it's far simpler than that.  Call Microsoft and tell them that you resized a file system with a third party tool and now your file system is corrupt and you'd like them to support you.  Await the click and awkward silence.

Now call Microsoft and tell them that you used their tools to resize the file system and it is somehow corrupt and watch as they try to determine what happened recover that file system.

I've had experience with both and their technical support staff and management are far more likely to support you when something goes wrong if it's their tools rather than some third party systems.  Just my 2c

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca