[CentOS] NetworkManager / wireless on latest Centos7 installs

Thu Jun 11 17:59:39 UTC 2015
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 11 Jun 2015 13:28, <johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be> wrote:

> [...]
Centos7.1 minimal install media, and before from Centos7 DVD.
> But there I also select minimal install.
>

> And then I sent another mail saying:
>

> and that is indeed the case.
>
> When installing from Centos7 DVD, I end up with wireless managed by
NetworkManager
> When I install form the more recent 7.1 minimal install media ( not sure
of the exact name ) I end up with wireless not managed
> by NetworkManager.
>
> Further, for as long as I can remember, I always try to get rid of gnome
keyring by renaming:

> mv /usr/bin/gnome-keyring /usr/bin/gnome-keyring.bak
> mv /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-3 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-3.bak
> mv /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon.bak
>
> but now this is preventing me from connecting to wireless networks.
>
> Greetings, Johan
>

> Hello All,
>
> this problem got bigger for me, and I could realy use some help.
> I now installed from a CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1503-01.iso, selecting minimal
install in Anaconda.
> After the install, the wireless interface shows up unmanaged by
NetworkManager.

> Before, I thought this could be due to using the minimal install media.
>
> [root at localhost ~]# nmcli d
> DEVICE TYPE STATE CONNECTION
> p4p1 ethernet connected p4p1
> lo loopback unmanaged --
> wlp1s0 wifi unmanaged --
>
> After installing the same way in Centos7, the wireless card is
automaticaly managed by NetworkManager as far as I
> can tell.
>
> lspci shows the right kernel module so this is not a driver issue. I use
the same wifi cards in all the machines.

> I'm sure there are ways to make this work without NetworkManager, but I
would like to have my users
> just click on the nm icon and select a wireless network.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> Many thanks.
> Johan

Note the section in the release notes about NetworkManager being split into
subpackages

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/7.1_Release_Notes/chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-7.1_Release_Notes-Networking.html

You mentioned you were starting from minimal

yum install NetworkManager-wifi