[CentOS] Two partitions with samd UUID??

Tue Jun 16 11:18:01 UTC 2015
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, Always Learning wrote:

> But my point was M$ DOS partitions, not being GPT partitions, can have
> UUIDs. The original poster appeared to suggest that was not possible.

No, the partition there does not have a UUID.  Run fdisk, create a partition,
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda4

blkid

You'll see no UUID, as the partition does not provide a UUID, and there's
nothing on it to provide a UUID.  Format it, or make some swap space or
whatever, and you get a UUID.

> When I think I am mounting a M$ DOS partition, am I mounting a real
> partition or merely 'the file system' within that partition ?  Some may
> think one can't have one without the other.

You never mount a partition, only a filesystem.  The partition merely points
you to where the filesystem is.

jh