[CentOS] OT Advantage of running DNS server?

Mon Jun 22 12:27:09 UTC 2015
Mark Haney <mark.haney at vifprogram.com>

I suppose a lot of it depends on your needs.  For us, we run internal DNS
servers for all the VMs we have running; mostly for software development
and monitoring.  It makes sense for us to do so as we have mostly Macs (and
my Linux workstation) that work better using DNS.  Had we been a mostly
Windows shop, we'd likely use NetBIOS internally with some Dynamic DNS for
win clients.

We also have external DNS servers for our cloud based servers, web servers
primarily.  We could have stuck with Network Solutions (our Domain
Registrar) for DNS, but we have a LOT of domains across the globe and we
prefer handling them ourselves.  Management can be a bit of a headache at
time, but it's worth it, IMHO.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> What is the advantage, if any, of running one's own DNS server?
> Surely the link between domain name and IP address
> must already have been established?
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* International Education
P.O. Box 3566 ::: Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515 ::: USA
919-265-5006 office

Global learning for all.
www.vifprogram.com
<http://www.vifprogram.com/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VIF>