[CentOS] OT: default password for HP printer

Mon Jun 22 18:30:00 UTC 2015
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 06/22/2015 12:43 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:31:34AM -0400, ken wrote:
>> For some reason the "tech support" people at Hewlett-Packard don't
>> know what the default password is to access their printer's embedded
>> web server (EWS).  I got it myself from the installation manual six
>> months ago and immediately set my own password which I have used
>> since then, so I no longer remember what the default is.  (It's
>> really a longer story than that, but....)  So I was just hoping that
>> someone here might know what that default password is.  Mine is an
>> Officejet Pro 8620, but perhaps some other, recent HP printer
>> default password would work. (Yes, I've already tried various
>> versions of "admin", an empty password, and others, but just not
>> anything which has worked.)
>
> Judging from this thread, there may not be one.
>
> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/hp-officejet-8600-pro-admin-password/td-p/4930621
>
> It's an 8600 rather than 8620 but it seems as if you may have to do a
> reset.

Trying to resolve a previous and unrelated problem, I did a reset
("semi-full" reset) per instructions from an hp tech two days ago.
That's when the password problem first showed up.  I was able to log
into the EWS several times with my own password with no problem at all.

When I first got this printer six months ago, as part of the setup, I
changed the EWS password from the default password (as said, which I no
longer remember) to my own password.  Since the reset, my own password
no longer works.

If, as that forum posting claims, there is "no password", they why am I
being blocked access to the embedded web server...?  being asked for a
username and password?  (Of course this is a rhetorical question.)