[CentOS] Recording piano and voice

Tue Jun 23 00:56:24 UTC 2015
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 05:20:36PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> The last time I wanted to record a voice announcement on my computer was a few years back, and as I recall I hooked up my Microsoft Lifechat headset and used Audacity to do the recording.
>
> Now I want to record a "recitation", which consists of me playing my piano and talking over it.
>
> I have a Casio CDP-230 digital piano but I've never tried hooking it up to my computer and making a recording.  It does have a USB midi port on it, but I've never used it.
>
> Has anyone else done something like this?  I'm wondering what the easiest way to simultaneously record from a microphone and a digital piano would be.

not having done it either, I nevertheless have a thought...

Still use Audacity, just make a separate track for the voice, then
you can mix it down to however many tracks you want. that way you
can redo the voice if you mess up, or re-mix if you don't like
the levels. that's hard to do if you record it all into the same
(set of) track(s).

I'd assume your piano also has an audio output, so you could plug
it into a computer's line input and record from that. I'd further
assume you'd prefer a "real" piano sound over midi. but I might be
wrong there.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.