[CentOS] OT: default password for HP printer

Tue Jun 23 08:49:47 UTC 2015
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 06/22/2015 09:49 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 06/22/15 17:22, ken wrote:

>>> You didn't mention whether you had or not, and I know that's the
>>> kind of silly mistake some people make (like, e.g., me) so I didn't
>>> see the harm in asking.
>>>
>>> the answer is probably going to turn out to be something alarmingly
>>> silly (it just has that feel to it), so what's the harm of a silly
>>> suggestion?
>>>

>> No harm.  That suggestion just seemed very patronizing, something
>> someone would say to someone five years old.  I've already gotten five
>> hours of that and the most idiotic and absurd comments and suggestions
>> from HP's tech support.
>>
>> True, I didn't mention that the manual's gone missing.  But I thought
>> that fact would be obvious and not in need of explaining.
>>

> Another maybe stupid suggestion, but have you tried downloading the
> manual from the HP support server?  I just did and the only password
> that it mentions is the wireless network password that it says is
> available on the control panel of the printer.

Yeah, it's a fine idea.  I've downloaded four PDFs specifically for the
8620 from HP's site and and ran several different searches (and
partially read) through all of them.  (One of them is like 250 pages, so
I didn't read it all, but did run searches on it.)  I guess I should
mention too that those searches were the most wide open allowable:
non-case-sensitive and whole-or-partial-word matching on.

> The manual does say that a password might be required to access the EWS
> if the wireless security feature is turned on.  Maybe it's the wireless
> password accessible through the control panel?

The password used in establishing a wireless connection is completely
different from the one which prevents unauthorized access to the web
server (EWS)... different purpose, different TCP/IP layer.  While it is
conceivable they might be the same password, if we think about it, it
would be nonsensical.  I tried it anyway.  As expected, it didn't work.
  Don't feel bad though.  One HP tech suggested exactly the same thing.