[CentOS] LVM hatred, was Re: /boot on a separate partition?

Tue Jun 23 16:40:47 UTC 2015
Mike - st257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Jason Warr <jason at warr.net> wrote:

> On 6/23/2015 10:33 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>
>> Inside / (which is mostly always ext4), 100% of the time. :-)
>>
>> That said, I prefer virtual machines over multiboot environments, and I
>> absolutely despise LVM --- that cursed thing is never getting on my
>> drives. Never again, that is...
>>

> I'm curious what has made some people hate LVM so much.  I have been using
> it for years on thousands of

No clue.

My experiences with LVM have been positive as well.
And in opinion it doesn't add much complexity (if you know the LVM tools,
you're fine). Flexibility is worth an ounce of complexity.

> production systems with no issues that could not be easily explained as
> myself or someone else doing something stupid.  And even those issues were
> pretty few and far between.

The worst "nail biter" I had was an instance where a former employee did
not properly allocate LV space to /var and I had to reclaim space from
rootfs and add it to /var.  Even a small screw up and I'd have to go
recover from my backups (not fun).  Fortunately I spun up VMs and labbed
everything a few times over and wrote detailed notes. Went without a hitch.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

> /opens can of worms

I'll bite, see above ;-)