[CentOS] Recording piano and voice

Tue Jun 23 17:14:08 UTC 2015
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 10:15:35 -0400
Lamar Owen wrote:

> The USB MIDI port won't give you audio, just MIDI text.

That's what I thought.  To this point, I've never done anything MIDI and I really don't know much about that; I just use my piano for the purpose of playing the piano.

> What sort of sound card do you have?

             product: 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio
Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation

I think I will try to do this with Audacity as Fred Smith suggested.  If I record the speaking part first, I can then somehow play it back and record the piano track while listening to the voice track to get the timing right.  What I'm doing doesn't really have a beat or rhythm like a song -- it's a dramatic reading, but some of the words have a note or chord to sound along with them so getting it coordinated will be the challenge.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.  I'll give this a shot and see what develops.  The last time I used Audacity I just had a sound effect and a voice part.  I recorded the voice part with Audacity, spliced in the sound effect and that was it.  This is going to be a bit more complex.