[CentOS] Recording piano and voice

Tue Jun 23 17:41:42 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 6/23/2015 10:14 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 10:15:35 -0400
> Lamar Owen wrote:
>
>> >The USB MIDI port won't give you audio, just MIDI text.
> That's what I thought.  To this point, I've never done anything MIDI and I really don't know much about that; I just use my piano for the purpose of playing the piano.

midi is the electronic equivalent of sheet music, or the song roll on a
player piano.   its just codes for notes and timings, its not the audio.

do note, if this is a stage grade electric piano, using big phone plugs,
the audio level out is not quite the same as consumer line level that a
computer input would want to record, you'll likely have to crank the
recording level way up, increasing the noise floor of the recordings.
the cure for this is something called a 'DI box' (Direct Input), or
using an amplifier or mixer that has a consumer line (1V P-P) output.
an alternative might be to use the headphone output of the synth, with
it set to moderately loud volume levels (say, 6-7 on a 0-10 scale)