[CentOS] LVM hatred, was Re: /boot on a separate partition?

Tue Jun 23 19:19:27 UTC 2015
Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 14:23:52 -0400
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:15:30 -0500
> > Jason Warr <jason at warr.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm curious what has made some people hate LVM so much.
> >
> > (3) It's being pushed as default on everyday ordinary users, who
> > have absolutely no need for it.
> >
>       That is not lvm's fault, but the distro's decision.

Agreed, but remember that hatred is not a rational thing. When one sees
LVM being pushed onto them by their favorite distro, they are not going
to blame the distro (because it's their favorite distro, you know...),
but rather the LVM itself. Psychology is a curious thing. ;-)

> > Also, related to (3), there was that famous Fedora upgrade fiasco a
> > few Fedora releases back. It went like this:
> >
>       Fedora != lvm unless I have been lied to all these years.

That Fedora stunt was just one real-world example of how things can get
drastically wrong, and for a sizable number of people. I wasn't
criticizing LVM, I was answering why some people hate it. :-)

As far as an ordinary noob user thinks, this is how it goes. Things
that participated in the problem were:

 - upgrade software,
 - boot partition,
 - grub bootloader,
 - LVM.

A typical noob user knows they need the first three components for
day-to-day work, and that they don't need the fourth. Also, people who
didn't have the fourth component didn't have the problem. Guess which
of the four will catch the blame? Moreover, the fourth component failed
to help with the problem, despite it being there precisely for
partition resizing. There's nothing more to discuss, it's clear as
day... :-D

Remember, I'm not justifying this "reasoning", just reporting what I've
seen happen out in the wild, and why some people hate LVM. ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko