[CentOS] LVM hatred, was Re: /boot on a separate partition?

Thu Jun 25 16:42:07 UTC 2015
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>

On Thu, 2015-06-25 at 11:50 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:03:18 -0400 CentOS mailing list <
> centos at centos.org> wrote:HA!  You only really need to learn *one*
> command: the man command.
>  The man
> provides 'enlightenment' for all other commands:
> man vgdisplay
> man lvdisplay
> man lvcreate
> man lvextend
> man lvresize
> man lvreduce
> man lvremove
> man e2fsck
> man resize2fs
>
> These are the only LVM commands I use regularly (yes there a a pile
> more, but most are rarely used and a handful only used in
> startup/shutdown scripts or when rescuing)

There may be numerous commands... but isn't it pretty obvious what each
one of them do?  Often lv<tab><tab> is plenty of hinting to get to the
right thing.  And each of the commands uses the same syntax for
options.

Yes, exactly. DO NOT USE GOOGLE - USE THE &^@&$^* DOCUMENTATION!

> Right, expecting a *web search* to give *correct* command
> documentation is problematical.  Using the local system man pages
> often works better, since the man pages installed with the installed
> utilities will cover the *installed* version and not the version that
> might be installed on a *different*

+1

>>If you want to get infrequently performed sysadmin tasks done
>>reliably and with a minimum of fuss use something like Webmin and
>>get on with the rest of your life.

And take notes!  You are sitting at a computer after all.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383