[CentOS] An odd X question

Fri Jun 26 12:04:59 UTC 2015
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

On 06/25/15 18:02, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:55:41 -0400
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>       mark "and why is it called xorg-x11-server, when in X
>> terminology, it's the client?"*
>>
>> * Which I always thought was bass-ackward, but...
>
> You should think of it this way: the program that wants something drawn
> on the screen is a client; the program that does the drawing is the
> server. The client asks the server to draw stuff on the screen, and
> server is, well... servicing those requests, from various clients.
<snip>

You misunderstand me: I understand the terminology, and why they chose it. I
simply disagree with their choice, and have always found it confusing, esp. to
anyone coming into it since, um, the mid/late 80's, when *everything* else in
the world used the terminology the other way, from d/b to three-tiered
architecture.

	mark