[CentOS] /boot on a separate partition?

Sat Jun 27 02:47:24 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:54:07AM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> This makes no sense to me. rEFInd dynamically discovers linux kernel
> updates, it doesn't need any regular configuration file changes. Once
> you configure it, it's a static configuration file unlike grub.cfg or
> extlinux.conf.
>
> So why do you need /boot/efi persistently mounted? You don't even need
> what GRUB users ought to have which is fstab using mount options
> noauto,x-systemd.automount for /boot/efi.

Surprisingly enough, we actually like to ensure the rEFInd
configuration is correct, and it isn't like it is hurting anyone to
have it mounted.  Its a managed system, users don't get root access.

Also, we have been seeing Win7 mucking around with the EFI partition
post-install, so it helps to make sure things are correct, although
typically what happens is Windows makes it so it is the only boot
option, and preempts rEFInd, and Linux never even gets a chance to
run.