[CentOS] Using a CentOS 6 Machine as a gateway/router/home server

Mon Jun 29 15:17:48 UTC 2015
david <david at daku.org>

At 07:43 AM 6/29/2015, you wrote:
>James B. Byrne wrote:
> > On Mon, June 29, 2015 02:14, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> > OS 6?
> >>
> >> Please note: I'm not criticizing, just curious about the argument
> >> behind using a regular OS to do firewall-stuff.
> >
> > Maintenance.
> >
> > A consistent set of expectations does wonders for debugging odd-ball
> > occurrences.  Why learn the idiosyncrasies of two distros when one
> > suffices?  Just start with a minimal CentOS install on your
> > router/gateway and add only the packages that you know that you need.
> > Any critical omission will evidence itself in short order and can be
> > added then; or the source of the need removed as circumstance
> > warrants.
>
>Yup. For, um, about a dozen years, I ran RH 7.1,7.2, 7.3, and eventually 9
>on an old box that was nothing but a firewall router. I was seriously
>paranoid - no gcc or any development tools, no X, not much of anything. To
>the best of my knowledge, we never had a breakin.
>
>I'm running DD-WRT on an ASUS router these days, and I'm *NOT* wildly
>impressed. I mean, it seems ok, but the project is run in what I can only
>describe as "amateur", in the worst sense of the word. The several
>official developers release a build, and you can choose which one of
>who's; people on the mailing list have "favorite builds", which is not a
>phrase I have *ever* heard used with an o/s before, and I'm afraid to
>update, as some of their "documentation" is out of date, or wrong.
>
>At some point, I may just get a PI, and run CentOS, or some
>firewall/router distro, though that would mean not having WiFi for guests.
>
>        mark

Mark
The WiFi solution I use still uses a Centos 6
firewall/router/gateway, but one of my inside devices is a WiFi
router.  Rather than doing double routing, I connect one of the
WiFi's LAN connections via a switch to my Router via a switch,
leaving the WiFi Router's WAN conection unused.  That way, my gateway
(and not the WiFi router) is the DHCP server, and can enforce
whatever firewall rules I want to apply.

No need to give up your guest WiFi if you stick with a Centos gateway.

David