[CentOS] How to decrypt rootpassword form kickstart file

Tue Mar 31 05:39:17 UTC 2015
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 03/31/2015 06:08 PM, Jegadeesh Kumar wrote:
> I have the kick start file where my root password is store like
>
> # Root password
> rootpw --iscrypted $1$1SItJOAg$UM9n7lRFK1/OCs./rgQtQ/
> # System authorization information
> auth  --useshadow  --passalgo=sha512
>
> Is there any way to decry pt the password and get it as plain text.

No, it's a one-way hash.  In other words it's possible to encrypt a
password into the hash, but you cannot turn it back into a password.
The way this works is when you login the password you provide is
encrypted and the encrypted version is compared against this string to
see if they match.

Peter