[CentOS] NFS and inode64

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Mar 2 20:13:19 UTC 2015

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 3/2/2015 11:56 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Well, we got it working. However, the issue we're now worried about is
>> users creating files and subdirectories. Do we need to worry, and if so,
>> is there some way to reserve inodes < 32k table, other than creating
>> tens of thousands of dummy files now?
>>
>> We don't want, a year or two down the road, for this system to be
>> running, and suddenly everything's broken, because all lower inodes
have been
>> used.
>
> inodes of individual files on the file system behind NFS don't matter.
> the only issue is, NFS defaults to using the folder's inode as the fsid.
>
> my solution to this is to just generate an arbitrary unique integer fsid
> on each share in /etc/exports on the server... just add ,fsid=#  in the
> (options) field, where # is 1,2,3,4...

When I first created it, I tried that, and it complained. I have another
system, a new one, which we'll be using for backups; I can try it on that
(the original one's *really* not somewhere to play, since my manager's
manager has a team all over it, working up to a very high profile demo a
week from now....)

Thanks. I'll look at this.

        mark