[CentOS] Ignorant question on SSL certs

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Mar 3 15:12:34 UTC 2015

Jason Pyeron wrote:

>> I'm getting endless complaints about my dovecot cert,
>
> Exact message please?

The certificate does not apply to the given host
The certificate is not signed by any trusted certificate authority

>> Do I really have to use a separate cert and key for dovecot?
>> Can I not use the "standard" cert in /etc/pki/tls/certs (and key)
>> from CACert.org ?
>
> Post the certificate only, not the private key.

I've looked at the cert and key and they look ok for what they are,
a self-signed certificate and key, as created (years ago)
following the instructions in the dovecot installation instructions.

I'm really just asking if I cannot just use what I take to be
the standard openssl certificate and key in /etc/pki/tls/
Do I really have to create up a special cert for dovecot?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net