[CentOS] Strange crash after NVidia driver installation from ELRepo

info at microlinux.fr

Tue Mar 3 15:41:01 UTC 2015

Hi,

I just had the weirdest of system crashed. Here goes.

I wanted to install a desktop step by step, as I usually do. First the
base system, then the X Window System, then the WindowMaker window
manager. Everything went OK, then I installed kmod-nvidia from ELRepo.
Yum informed me that the driver conflicted with x11-glamor (something
like that), so I removed the corresponding package.

While doing all this, the system still defaulted to boot in console mode
(meaning multi-user.target and not graphical.target). To test X, I just
launched WindowMaker using startx.

Anyway, I rebooted, and then... nothing. System refused even to startup,
and systemd suggested to me that I open journalctl (which taught me
nothing).

Right now I've started a Slax LiveCD to backup all my data and reinstall
the whole thing from scratch. I don't have the slightest clue as to what
could possibly have happened here. The only thing I wonder: could it be
that installing the kmod-nvidia driver while booting to a default
console (and not graphical) could lead to this weirdness? A previous
installation on that machine went OK, but the difference was that the
first time, I started with a full GNOME installation right away.

Any suggestions?

Niki