[CentOS] Strange crash after NVidia driver installation from ELRepo

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 19:21:07 UTC 2015

On 03/03/15 18:47, Niki Kovacs wrote:

> Le 03/03/2015 19:25, Jonathan Billings a écrit :
>> One of the things that the nvidia driver adds is "nouveau.modeset=0
>> rdblacklist=nouveau" to the kernel arguments.  Do you see them?  I
>> know that we saw the kernel panic when the nouveau driver was loaded
>> on a el6.6 system with an NVidia K620, so perhaps when you brought in
>> X11 you also installed the nouveau drivers?
>
> One thing I did this time was to make sure there weren't any
> incompatible drivers (like 'nouveau') installed *before* actually
> installing and configuring kmod-nvidia. Now everything works as expected.

The elrepo nvidia drivers will disable the nouveau driver automatically
so you don't need to worry about things like that.

Don't over-think it. I would recommend you just set up your system the
way you want it with at least a minimal working Xorg installation, and
fully updated. Then just:

yum install nvidia-detect
yum install $(nvidia-detect)

and reboot, and you should be good to go.