[CentOS] Strange crash after NVidia driver installation from ELRepo

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Mar 3 16:11:59 UTC 2015

info at microlinux.fr wrote:

> I just had the weirdest of system crashed. Here goes.
>
> I wanted to install a desktop step by step, as I usually do. First the
> base system, then the X Window System, then the WindowMaker window
> manager. Everything went OK, then I installed kmod-nvidia from ELRepo.
> Yum informed me that the driver conflicted with x11-glamor (something
> like that), so I removed the corresponding package.

That would be the openGL libraries. kmod-nvidia will install its own.

> While doing all this, the system still defaulted to boot in console mode
> (meaning multi-user.target and not graphical.target). To test X, I just
> launched WindowMaker using startx.
>
> Anyway, I rebooted, and then... nothing. System refused even to startup,
> and systemd suggested to me that I open journalctl (which taught me
> nothing).

I'm a tad confused: you say "nothing", and that system refused to startup,
but systemd is talking. Where is it in the bootup? What happens if you
edit the grub kernel line one time, to s, so that it boots to single user
mode?
<snip>
       mark