[CentOS] Ignorant question on SSL certs

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Mar 4 01:23:27 UTC 2015

Peter wrote:

> On 03/04/2015 08:12 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> My question is simply: Does one require a separate cert for dovecot?
>
> Dovecot does not care if you use the same cert for other applications.

Thank you, that was my question.

> Your question is missing the point, others are trying to tell you that
> the real issue is that the cert was not created properly for the
> hostname that the IMAP clients are connecting to.  This has nothing to
> do with sharing the certificate with other applications.

I don't really care what is wrong with it, if I can do without it.
I'm using the /etc/pki/tls/ cert and key in dovecot now,
and they seem to work fine.

Incidentally, I created the /etc/pki/dovecot/ cert and key years ago,
and never got this flood of warning messages until recently.

If in fact it is unnecessary to create a special cert and key for dovecot
it seems to me remiss not to say this in the dovecot installation doc.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net