[CentOS] Centos 6 - disabling IPv6 addressing

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Mar 6 15:40:41 UTC 2015

I have just moved a host from a network that supports static IPv4 and
IPv6.  The IPv4 addr is set in ifcfg-eth0, and the IPv6 via RA (I set
the MAC so I get an IPv6 addr that I like).

I just moved the host to a network that supports static IPv4, but only
dymanic IPv6, so at this time (until I get static IPv6), I need to
disable the global IPv6 addressing.  So in the ifcfg-eth0 file I set:

IPV6INIT="no"

But I am still getting a global IPv6 (and of course local scope).

What else do I need to do to disable the listening for RA announcements
and setting an IPv6 global address?  I do not want to reboot the box.  I
can restart the network as needed.

I seem to recall, once upon atime an option in /etc/sysconfig/network

thanks